Friday, April 3, 2009

Earth Hour

According to the group that started it, Earth Hour (an annual hour--this year, last Saturday night from 8:30-9:30 PM--when major landmarks and interested individuals turn off all unnecessary lights and electrical appliances to signal their support for curbing global warming) is "more about street parties than street protests." Well, I'm not a street party kind of gal, but I don't think there can be many more fun ways to spend an hour in the dark than introducing a toddler to the joys of flashlights. Esther planted herself firmly on my lap to view the giant hand shadows we were making on the wall above the crib, but eventually she figured out what a shadow was and enjoyed making a few of her own. She also practiced shining the light in different directions and turning it out by clamping it against her body. She would have liked to shine it in her eyes, but I wouldn't let her. After Esther went to bed, Tim and I sat on the couch in the dark and talked. Very relaxing!

Before Saturday, Esther had never paid much attention to her shadow even when I tried to point it out, but now she finds shadows everywhere. This morning she was sitting by the wall in the dining room wiggling her fingers and watching her shadow move...at least when the shadow of her head wasn't getting in the way! She hasn't quite figured out yet the necessary position of object in relation to light source. But it's fun to see her learning something new!

No comments: