Tuesday, August 3, 2010

a new mommy

Today at dinner, out of the blue, Esther looked up at me and declared, "If I had a new mommy I would cry and cry, because I want you."  I don't think this is the kind of thing that most three-year-olds think about.  Then again, one of her favorite books right now is an adoption story where a baby is described meeting her new mommy and daddy.  She didn't sound worried, but just in case, I assured her that she won't have any more new mommies, that when we adopted her it was forever.  And I was reminded again of the enormity of this transition that we expect children to make easily because they're little and adaptable.  And they are...but I don't think we often appreciate just how much.

A little later on in the evening Esther was out of sorts because she wasn't allowed to eat dinner while holding her blankie in her chair.  She pouted dramatically, explained, "I have a mad face," laid her head down on her blankie, and then asked me to pray for her head so it would feel better.  I'm not sure in what way her head was bothering her, but was encouraged that she herself thought of praying as a way of helping her situation.  She did seem to feel better afterwards, although she was obviously very, very tired.  It appears we are still in recovery mode!

No comments: