Sunday, October 17, 2010

The evolution of Rugga Guggan

Sometime in the spring, Esther started randomly chattering about Beebee Bobbi, or occasionally Robbi Bobbi.  I couldn't make much out of it, but it sounded occasionally like she was talking about a person.  Over our Memorial Day trip to my grandmother's house, it became clear: Beebee Bobbi was her imaginary friend!  I learned that Beebee Bobbi was small (small enough to climb on the curtains, and be carried in Esther's cupped hands) and was a girl.

Esther continued to talk about Beebee Bobbi a lot all summer, occasionally changing her name.  Sometimes she was Robbi Bobbi, then Robba Bobba, then Rugga Gugga, and now for the last few months she has been Rugga Guggan.  The name hasn't changed in a while, so maybe this one will stick.

Esther plays with Rugga Guggan a lot on some days, usually days which she has spent with only me for company, but pretty much ignores her on days when she gets a lot of socialization elsewhere.  I don't think she has yet asked for extra treats to give Rugga Guggan, but has been known to share food with her.  She has also blamed her for messes ("Rugga Guggan did that!"), for disobedience ("But Rugga Guggan doesn't want me to do it!") and for slowness ("I'm waiting for Rugga Guggan!")  Esther takes great delight in scolding Rugga Guggan when she breaks house rules.  Sometimes she carries her around in her hands.  Once she had a fight with her and came complaining to me about it.  I must say, I anticipate having to deal with sibling rivalry someday, but I never expected to find myself arbitrating a quarrel with an imaginary friend!  Then again, this is the same child who the other day dropped her imaginary ticket out of her imaginary pocket and lost it.  We are not lacking for imagination around here!

No comments: