Thursday, December 30, 2010

nine years

Nine years ago today, Tim and I committed to each other for as long as we both shall live.  Since then we've lived in six apartments/houses in three states and one foreign country, changed jobs on several occasions, traveled together to some spectacularly beautiful places, learned lots of new things, and become parents for the first time.  It's been an adventure, in the best possible way.

So, on this evening of momentous import, we got a babysitter...so that we could attend a required training on how to de-escalate conflict and, if necessary, physically restrain an out-of-control child.  Then we returned home for a dinner of leftovers.  Romantic, huh?  :-)  Lest anyone is inclined to feel sorry for us, I should mention that I don't think we've celebrated our anniversary on the day itself for the majority of the years we've been married.  Last year we celebrated by going to a play...in February.  It still counts, right?

But truly, I am blessed to have spent the last nine years in the company of someone whom I admire, and yet feel as comfortable with as I do in my own skin; someone I can share a vision with, and work together as partners to see it come true; someone who inspires me to grow and become a better person without ever making me feel less than completely loved and accepted for who I am.  When marriage lives up to how God designed it, it is a very, very good thing.

Happy 9th, my partner!

1 comment:

Difference2This1 said...

Happy 9th Anniversary. Sounds about as romantic a "celebration" as we would tackle; yet far more meaningful then a fancy dinner. Wishing you blessings wherever this this you.