Friday, May 20, 2011

Day Five

Discover of the day: I do not like shopping with Big girl!  I had Tim drop us off at the store while Esther was in her gymnastics class, and it became a very long hour.  There was the touching everything, the getting "stuck" looking at scrapbooking stickers and not moving on when I said it was time, the yelling "Don't leave me!!" when I finally told her I was moving on and started walking away from the scrapbooking section (that got us some startled looks from nearby shoppers!), the tossing fruits and vegetables roughly back into their piles if they weren't the ones she wanted to buy, the constant asking for food items (especially sweets and fruit)...and did I mention the touching everything??  She is now the not-so-proud owner of a bag of almond bark that she whacked over her knee and broke in half.  Well, I was the one who paid for it, but she is going to pay me back, probably by doing a job around the house since she doesn't have any money.  It was the first time I've spoken to her sharply since she's been here, and she felt terrible about it.

The rest of the day went pretty well.  I think she was a little bored at school, but no drama that I'm aware of.  In the afternoon she and Esther and I mixed up some sugar cookie dough.  Then Esther watched some new Thomas the Tank Engine movies, I washed dishes, and Big girl called her parents.  They told her the good news that they have completed one of the tasks they need to in order for her to come back home!  She was over the moon excited, and thought she was going to be going home right away.  Sadly, that is not the case.  :-(  There are a couple of other things that they have to do as well, and then they will have to wait for their next scheduled court date for the judge to decide that they've met all the requirements and she can go home.  But progress is progress.  Meanwhile, she has a parent visit scheduled for this afternoon, and she can't wait to see them.

I made the mistake of thinking we'd be able to finish the cookie baking process after dinner.  Oops.  Both girls ended up staying up way past their bedtimes so that they could eat some of the first batch of cookies out of the oven.  (I finished up after they were in bed.)  Big girl complained of feeling sick last night, and again this morning.  I suppose she could really be sick, but I think more likely it's either tiredness or anxiety.  I am shooting for early bedtimes tonight!  I'm finding it's a long process to get two children into bed, especially when both of them need me to sit with them in order for them to fall asleep easily.  I don't mind, though.  :-)  I just need to adjust my timetable a little.

1 comment:

Difference2This1 said...

Sounds like you are doing a good job keeping Big Girl busy! Sounds like Big Girl is lots like my big girl was the first year she was home. Fortunately, we have evolved past grabbing everything up in the store and jumping on furniture at home. Unfortunately she continues to do equvalent immature stuff out of my sight. Wonder if Esther will miss the playmate when she goes home??? Good thing there's a Big Boy on the way to keep things interesting for her!! :) Blessings, Jennifer