Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Esther's good judgment

I am very proud of how Esther's judgment with money is developing.

Shortly before Christmas, we stopped into a shoe store to look for lace-up sneakers.  We did find any, but the did have red, glittery dress shoes.  Esther loved them, and really wanted to buy a pair.  She didn't need them (at all!), but they were only ten dollars and just the kind of thing any little girl would love, so I was considering them for a Christmas gift.  But I asked her to try walking around in them first.  When I asked her how they felt, she said, "They slip up and down when I walk.  I don't think they're worth it."  Good call for a four-year-old, don't you think?!

And then there is the matter of her savings.  We started giving both kids a modest allowance this fall.  Plus both kids have gotten some monetary gifts from extended family and friends.  Daniel always has something in mind that he would like to buy, and once he saves up enough money he will buy it.  He has made some good choices, but money does not sit around in his wallet.  Esther, however, rarely feels a need for anything she doesn't have.  She will occasionally buy something from the dollar store, and of course she looked forward for months to getting gymnastics shoes and a ribbon for Christmas, but for the most part her money just accumulates.  Recently, however, we were at Walmart and Esther saw a bike.  And she decided that that bike was exactly what she wanted.  We went home and counted her money...and she had enough.  For a bike!  (Okay, so a kiddie bike is not that expensive, but still, I was impressed!)  So Esther and Daddy took a trip back to the store and bought her a pink and white bike with training wheels in just her size.  Due to the really freaky winter weather we've been having (as in, daffodils are trying to come up in January because it's so warm), she has had lots of chances to enjoy the fruits of habitual saving and a wise choice in spending.

We've been taking it out and riding up and down the flat part of our street on warm afternoons.  I tell you, give that girl a set of wheels and she can practically fly!  The first couple times I went out with her, I ended up with sore leg muscles from running to keep up with her.  I think she could probably take off the training wheels now, but we'll wait till summer when we can find a better spot to practice.  Meanwhile, we'll have to think about what we can get her for her birthday, since a bike was going to be her big gift.  I'm glad we let her go ahead and get it though, because she is having so much fun.  Love that go-getting girl!  :-)

No comments: