One more (major!) check off the checklist. Despite looking periodically all day, I didn't find any better deals than what we had saved last night, so I went ahead and bought those. It is a pretty good itinerary on an airline we like, and considering how close we are to travel I can't complain about the price, although I'm still a little bummed about the fare that got away. :-( Oh well, as Tim reminded me, he got an unanticipated bonus from his university for publishing a paper this year (you can tell it's a small university when a publication is considered a matter worthy of financial reward!), and that can go towards our tickets. At least we should have a comfortable flight.
Esther told me tonight as she was going to bed that she feels sad about getting a brother. I had been wondering if any of her recent "processing" is related to her experience with Big girl, and I was even more curious after I wrote Big girl a note today and Esther instructed me to say, from her, "I love you and miss you." (Actually, she wanted me to write "I love you and miss you and I don't like my brother," but I just wrote the first part.) So tonight I asked Esther if she wanted to add a different person to the family or if she wanted it to be just her, and she said wistfully, "Just me...and Daddy! And you." Poor kid! The three of us have a really good thing going on, and it is hard to leave a good thing behind and step out into the unknown, especially when it wasn't really your choice and you don't have a long-term perspective on it. As of tonight, she only plans to spit on her brother if he's mean to her, but she intends to go away and hide where he can't see her. And we agreed that I will carry her a lot while we're in China.
No comments:
Post a Comment