Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Happy second Family Day, Esther Si Di!

Two years ago today, Esther Si Di made us a family of three instead of two and one.  It was a big transition for all of us, but we have been so blessed!

To celebrate, Tim took the day off from work today for some family fun.  After a special breakfast of fried eggs, bacon and frozen blueberries, we set out to the Baltimore Zoo.  We get free admission there through our membership at the National Zoo, but this was our first time trying it.  I have to say, if your main goal is seeing animals, there are places in the area where you'll find a lot more.  But the animals they did have were very nicely "staged" (for lack of a word more appropriate to living beings), and there were lots of fun activities for kids, including giant "lily pads" for hopping across a pond on, a spiral staircase going up inside a huge artificial tree trunk, leading to a slide, and "turtle shells" that you can crawl inside and spin around in.  I particularly enjoyed the bats in the cave display, and the giant (as in, up to four inches long!) tadpoles, the biggest I have ever seen, in a pond near the penguins (not sure if that was supposed to be a display, but it impressed me!).  Esther told Tim her favorite part of the zoo was her water bottle.  We don't normally let her have bottled water, but she had been begging to drink Tim's water bottle from a conference he attended on Monday, so we decided to let her have her own to carry around with her today.  (Don't worry, she did enjoy the animals as well!)

We spent about four hours at the zoo, and Esther napped in the car on the way home.  During the parts of the day that we weren't at the zoo, we mostly read books and played.  Esther took a bath tonight with some moldable, colored soap, and she made a family of worms and took care of them.  She was going to wait until I came into the bedroom to go to sleep, but I suggested that she have a little rest while she was waiting, and I haven't heard a peep out of her since!  I think our little girl had a big day!



No comments: