Tuesday, August 2, 2011

P.S. to school

Tim thought that my description of the kids' school abilities was a little confusing at one point.  When I say that they can't/won't work independently, I mean that neither one is at the point where I can hand them an assignment (reading, writing, workbook, etc.) and just let them go.  Either they are not yet capable of doing the assignment, or they aren't motivated to do it without me talking them through it.  Also neither one of them will play alone when there are other people around to interact with.  So if I want to work with one child one-on-one, the other child pretty much has to be on the computer or watching TV.  Otherwise they will be coming in constantly trying to talk to me and the child I'm working with.  This would pose a real problem for full-day homeschool, given that working with them together for any length of time also has some challenges.  I'm sure experienced homeschool parents have ways of dealing with this, but...I'm just glad I'm not trying to do it full-day this year!  Next year, we'll see.  If public school doesn't work out well for Daniel, we will revisit the possibility of homeschool.  In the meantime, this fall will help him to work on his English and give both kids some time to mature.

1 comment:

ChinaDeb said...

Hi Linette,
How I have enjoyed reading you blog entries and seeing the pictures of the kids. Wow-Daniel is a boy that we have given hugs to many times, but I wonder if he remembers us-the cowboy and lady who always come with the clown! Hope that someday God will allow us to meet in the US. We pray for you as you work through this process of teaching and daily decisions about the children. God is so good to give Daniel your home and to give you Daniel.

Blessings in the KING,
Deb Phalen
P.S. We head back to China in a couple of weeks for our 12th time.