Sunday, January 1, 2012

First Communion

I suppose New Year's Day was a fitting time for Daniel to experience his first communion.  Our church has been in-between pastors most of the time since we came back from China, so today was the first time we have had communion in months.  This morning we explained to Daniel what communion meant, and had him watch the part of the Jesus film that includes the Last Supper.  I explained that communion is for people who believe in Jesus and who want to obey him.  Daniel said he wanted to take it.  I asked if he believes in Jesus, and that Jesus died to take away his sins.  He said that he does, and added that he believes Jesus, wants to worship Jesus, and wants to love Jesus.  So we agreed that it would be appropriate for him to take communion. 

Before we went to China, we had prayed that Daniel would have an open heart towards God.  When our friend explained the gospel to him in China, he clearly was open to it and wanted to receive it.  After we got home, though, it was clear from some of our conversations that his understanding was quite limited, and that, in particular, much of his concept of God borrowed from the Chinese concept of Fate.  I hadn't realized until this morning that I have heard many fewer of those types of comments recently.  Meanwhile Daniel prays when he is worried or confused or thankful, and tells me regularly that he feels that God is helping him to grow up into a better person.  So I think little by little his understanding of God and relationship with God are increasing.

I didn't get to share Daniel's first communion with him because I was in the nursery today.  :-(  But the couple whose baby I took care of told me that this was the first time they have gotten to take communion together since their wedding, and it obviously was significant to them to be able to do so.

The rest of our day was uneventful, and pleasant.  Daniel and Esther took down the Christmas tree in the morning.  We played some games in the afternoon, both the electronic and the old-fashioned variety, and then in the evening I gave Esther a bath while Daniel rearranged his room.  Now Daniel is making a phone call to China, Tim is reading a book, and I'm writing.  Lovely!

Tim told someone at church today that his wish for 2012 is that it be less eventful than 2011.  :-)  2011 was a good year with many blessings, but yes, after moving and Tim starting a new job in 2010, and then adding a teenager to our family in 2011, I could go for an uneventful year myself!  But whatever the next year holds, may your and our lives be filled with God's life.

No comments: